St. Andrew’s was first organized as a parochial mission of Christ Episcopal Church of Dearborn on May 25, 1952. The first service of the Mission of St. Andrew’s was held at Bentley High School with 151 worshipers.
Within the space of two years the mission became a self-supporting parish. The Rev. Jay P. Coulton, who had served as the Vicar of the mission from its inception, was called as Rector to the parish in 1956. The Diocese of Michigan purchased and gave a 10 acre site with a multipurpose building on Hubbard Road to the parish. The first service was held in the new facility on Passion Sunday, 1955.
More space was needed for the growing parish. On October 13, 1957 the cornerstone was laid for the main church building. The 600 person capacity building was formally occupied on June 22, 1958. The construction of the education wing followed, which consisted of much needed classrooms and office space.
Rev. Coulton resigned in 1965 and was called to St. Thomas in Trenton and was succeeded by the Rev. James A. McLaren in March 1966. Early in 1968, plans were formulated for a mission of the church and a parcel of land was purchased on Newburgh Road in Livonia to house the facility. The Rev. Jack Savage was appointed by the Bishop as Curate to lead the mission, The Church of the Holy Spirit.
Rev. McLaren was called by the Bishop to the Cathedral Church of St. Paul to begin a new ministry in the city of Detroit, Crossroads. He left St. Andrew’s in 1969 and was succeeded by the Rev. Kenneth G. Davis.
In January 1971, the Mother Hubbard Nursery School, a noncooperative nursery, was established under the guidance of Mrs. Marilyn Davis and a board of trustees from the church that oversaw the school’s operation. On October 25, 1975, the Memorial Library was dedicated by Bishop McGehee. The facility was funded by personal donations and Memorial Fund monies given expressly for this purpose.
In the spring of 1976, the Church discharged its debt on the parish hall. It was consecrated and dedicated by The Rt. Rev. Archie Crowley in honor of Mr. and Mrs. William Newton who had served the parish for many, many years. The parish hall was officially named The Newton Centre during ceremonies in April 1976. Two years later, on December 3, 1978, our Church was officially dedicated and consecrated by The Rt. Rev. H. Irving Mayson.
The last addition to the church, The Memorial Garden, had been planned for many, many years. In May 1987, the ground breaking ceremony took place. The garden is a place for the internment of the cremated remains of parishioners and their families.
Rev. Davis resigned in 1988 and was called to the Church of the Advent. After a lengthy search, the Rev. Robert A. Clapp was called to be the fourth Rector of St. Andrew’s. This was a period marked by great change in our church.
With the completion of the Litch Gate, the Memorial Garden was finally finished. Rev. Clapp dedicated and consecrated the completed Memorial Garden in November 1990.